Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Front garden makeover

Let me start off by saying that this post is late for the simple reason that I could not find the cord for my camera! I've been dying to share these pictures with all of you. I hope you can appreciate the long hours - ok the entire day - it took me to complete this landscaping project. I'm incredibly proud! For those of you who don't know, we moved in last September so this has been my first crack at my very own garden that does not consist of all pots. So without further ado ...

BEFORE



AFTER




The idea was to create a virtually maintenance free front garden. Our street has heavy foot traffic and to be quite honest I would prefer to spend my time in the backyard. Planting perennials was the perfect solution! I chose plants that will fill in with time and will produce pretty flowers. I left the existing tulips that I had planted in the fall and added two flowering hostas (I really like the two-tone leaves) and four day lilies that will produce a variety of colourful flowers. You can't see it but I also put a weed barrier underneath the mulch. This will prevent and pesky weeds from showing their ugly heads in my garden. I chose an organic mulch that consists of coconut husks. It looks good and provides added moisture retention to my garden, great for those long hot summer days. And there you have it, my updated bed in my front garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment